Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Do I need CTEC Certification to become a VITA Volunteer?

The answer is NO, you do not need to be CTEC Certified in order to do taxes as a VITA Volunteer.

On the other hand, being certified to do prepare and file taxes does not qualify you to become a paid tax preparer in California. Requirements for becoming CTEC Certified and becoming a paid preparer can be found at

Even if you are qualified to do taxes for money, you need to pass your certification as a VITA Volunteer for each season to do taxes.   No IFs, ANDs, BUTs or WHAT IFs!!  If you want to prepare taxes as a VITA Volunteer, you MUST currently be certified.

No comments:

Post a Comment